Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Developing a Love for Reading

Reading has always been an important part of my life as a child and as an adult.  I wanted to instill that in my children so we started reading to them and buying them books from birth! We began their library with Dr. Seuss and Mickey Mouse books.






 Even when a child is an infant, you can hold them and read to them while they nurse or eat, as well as incorporate reading in their bedtime ritual.  My husband would read one or more of them the newspaper while he caught up on the news for himself.  Weekend mornings began with their joining us in bed with books in hand.  My husband had the stories memorized so that he could even "read" them with his eyes shut!




You can see that the youngest was involved with the storytelling time as well.  He had brothers reading to him as an infant.





The first son has always read to his younger brother!





So there was no problem with his continuing the habit! Because of their upbringing with a book always a ready item, all three developed a love for reading together and independently.












A love of reading helps vocabulary, learning, creativity, imagination, friendship, to name a few, and encourages lifelong learning!  Teaching your child to read and enjoy the written word is a must for every parent who wants to not only help but also enjoy a child! Just looking at the pictures of my sons enjoying their books brings back such wonderful memories for my husband and me, and judging by their responses to my posts, they are sharing the same feelings!

No comments:

Post a Comment