Friday, February 7, 2014

Infant Lessons

Just as each delivery is different, each infant is different.  My sons each reached milestones in different orders.  One walked early, one talked early, and one cut his teeth early. This taught me that you need not worry if your child doesn't do the same as your friends' children or his or her own siblings. It is not a competition!  Your pediatrician should know if there is an unusual delay in certain skills and is a good guide if you have concerns. My generation parented using Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care but there are many excellent sources available in books, magazines, and online.

Weight is an area where there seems to be competition among mothers. My sons were all on the low side of the average "normal" weight so they never looked pudgy.


My mom and others were concerned but the pediatrician said they were healthy and not to worry.  Their paths to food began with breast milk, then formula, next 2% milk since the pediatrician felt the calories were needed but not the fat content, and then baby food.  Because my doctor believed the baby's system needed to be ready to sleep through the night before introducing solids, it was several months before they even got cereal. Then I used a baby food grinder on foods such as peas, cooked chicken livers, cooked apples and peaches, any foods that were used in commercial baby foods.  With three children in three years, every way I could quickly and economically feed them was utilized!

My first son's pediatrician did not believe in giving more than one inoculation at a time.  Even the oral polio vaccine was given singly without any other. I believe this may be a solution for those parents who are concerned about the effects of vaccinations. His belief was that regardless of how it was introduced, each vaccine impacted the body in some way or it wasn't effective. Therefore, one at a time seemed less risky.

My husband had made a beautiful large cradle that could unlock and swing.


We used that for the first until the second came.  We purchased a large crib and moved him to it before son two arrived to prevent any sense of displacement! (Notice how the stuffed animals have their own living quarters!)


Sleeping for three children no longer in cribs in a three bedroom house was eventually accomplished  by making one room a dorm room and another a play room.  My husband made basic box beds with three drawers under the mattress base.


They were very practical beds and fit along three walls of the room. The forth wall had a dresser with a lamp, record player, and clock radio.  The play room had low, sturdy shelves with tubs of the various toys, a child-size table and chairs, a car path mat, desk, and at times a tent among other things.


Toy boxes built by their dad moved from the living area to the playroom.


We spent a lot of time in there together as well as individually.  It lead for a lot of creative activity and made the rest of the house neater since their toys had "their own home."

Bath time was always fun.  With one child, I had no problem keeping him entertained so he enjoyed his time in the water.  When son two came, I would bath him when son one was sleeping until they both were big enough for the bath tub.  Then we used finger paint suitable for the tub, and bubbles for making beards and mustaches.



 When son three arrived, I bought my sons baby dolls that could be washed and fed. When it was time to bath the youngest, I would announce "bath time" and they would get their babies.  We each had a basin and would bath our babies at the same time.  Same with feeding time, except I had to explain to them that they needed to use the baby bottles while I nursed! My sons learned a sense of tenderness and caring that has helped them in their relationships with others so playing with dolls was never an issue. Even when we got our dog, the dolls were just part of their toy and animal collections.


We used clothes passed down from sisters and friends along with the baby shower gifts. Gently used, church, thrift, and consignment shops are also good sources for baby clothes.  I successfully removed mulberry stains from one outfit by boiling it!


One idea my friends and I capitalized on as we raised our children was a baby sitting co-op. Each joining member received 15 index cards stamped with a baby themed stamp. Depending on how many children you were having a member babysit, you would pay for the time with a certain number of these cards.  If you were low on cards, you needed to baby sit a member's child to increase your supply.  No money was exchanged and it gave the children a chance to play with each other.  I used it to be able to take one child to the doctor without having the others there, grocery shop or make an appointment for myself. What a lifesaver!

The infant stage was an enjoyable stage and we have fond memories!




No comments:

Post a Comment